Mama Afrika Film Festival 2018… Woman filmmakers, sculptors and visual artists call for submissions for the 2018 Mama Afrika Film Festival in Nairobi, Kenya.
Mama Afrika Film Festival mission is to celebrate and showcase women in the arts. The mandate of the Festival is to:
- Facilitate interaction between women artists or creative and their audiences;
- Support and encourage women to join the creative industry.
- Increase the exposure of new creative works made by women or about women issues.
- Showcase women ‘s creative work to the Kenyan and international world for exposure.
- Provide opportunities for professional development.
- Provide a marketplace for the film industry.
- Develop and offer youth programs to develop the next generation of women creatives.
The Festival screens short, student, long feature and documentary films made by, or about women from all over the world. All genres and lengths are accepted. Mama Afrika will also invite women experts to hold short film-relevant workshops.
The MAMA AFRIKA FILM FESTIVAL 2018 festival theme is: Legendary Women.
The characters who inhabit our screen stories have the ability to shape who we are, who we aspire to be, and how we view the world around us. Cinema has an incredible power to influence and challenge constructed portrayals of womanhood yet we continue to see a narrow range of female interaction on film. This year MAMA AFRIKA FILM FESTIVAL will therefore play a crucial role in providing a range of truthful depictions of women as change agents and screening examples of women on screen that are smart, resilient, and inspiring. The festival will provide an empowering journey to show the public, girls, women and young aspiring filmmakers that there can be an alternative to the limited and limiting female role models offered in mainstream media. In the words of Geena Davis “If she can see it, she can be it”. As a runup to the festival we would like to feature and celebrate creative women who are daring to pursue their creative dreams
The MAMA AFRIKA FILM FESTIVAL will be held in Nairobi. Mama Afrika Film Festival believes today’s film students lead to tomorrow’s world-renowned filmmakers. Daily screenings will be at the Multimedia University of Kenya, Kenyatta University and the Kenya Institute of Mass Communications.
The Festival theme nights will give our guests a cultural night celebrating films and culture and culinary delights of particular countries. The opening ceremony consists of artistic performances and a cocktail party. The closing ceremony is a gala event for presenting awards to filmmakers and, of course, there is a party. Those are already four parties! More are to be announced.
- Open to women filmmakers, sculptors or visual artists
- All genres and lengths are accepted.
- Production must be completed after June 2016.
- The films must be by Africans or about African gender issues from around the world.
How to Submit Entries:
Submission copies must be PAL format DVD. An English language track or subtitled version is required. Films can also be submitted online if they are uploaded and a link is provided.
Submissions will not be processed unless all the following have been received:
- Completed Entry form
- 3 copies of film/video in PAL DVD
Send hard copies to
Mama Afrika Film Festival
℅ Wanjiru Kinyanjui
P.O BOX 910-00511
Ongata Rongai- Kajiado, Kenya.
For Inquiries email: email@example.com.
APPLY HERE: https://filmfreeway.com/MAMAAFRIKAFilmFestival
OFFICIAL LINK: http://www.mamaafrikafilmfestival.org/