Ghana Tax Identification Number (TIN) | The Taxpayers Identification Number (TIN) is a unique number issued to individuals or companies to identify them as registered taxpayers in Ghana.
- 1 Why Do You Need a TIN Number
- 2 Who Can Apply for a Tax Identification Number in Ghana?
- 3 Cost of TIN in Ghana
- 4 The uniqueness of the TIN
- 5 How to Get Tax Identification Number (TIN) in Ghana
- 6 Steps involved in Obtaining a Tax Identification Number (TIN) in Ghana
- 7 How to Apply for TIN Offline
- 8 How to Apply for TIN via Email
- 9 How to Apply for TIN Online
- 10 How Long Does it Take to Get TIN in Ghana?
Why Do You Need a TIN Number
Apart from TIN registration being mandatory, there are a lot of other things which you need a TIN for; You will need a TIN for
- Opening a corporate bank account
- Government loans,
- Foreign exchange,
- Application for trade licenses, Import and export licenses
- Registration of motor vehicles,
- Application for certificate of occupancy, etc.
A TIN is also necessary to get a tax clearance certificate for your business. You will need this as evidence that you are paying your taxes as due.
A Tax Identification Number (TIN) is also required for official transactions with the following public institutions;
- The Domestic Tax Revenue Division of the Ghana Revenue Authority
- The Customs Division of the Ghana Revenue Authority
- The Controller and Accountant General’s Department
- The Registrar General’s Department
- District Assemblies and
- Any Public Institution which the Minister may by legislative Instrument prescribe.
Who Can Apply for a Tax Identification Number in Ghana?
According to the GRA, the following people are required to register for a Tax Identification Number:
- Earns taxable income in Ghana
- Wishes to clear goods in commercial quantities from any port or factory
- Wishes to register a title or other documentation relating to land
- Requires a Tax Clearance Certificate
- Wishes to register a business/company at the Registrar-Generals Department
- Requires a Permit from a District Assembly
- Intends to receive a payment from the Controller and Accountant-Generals Department
Cost of TIN in Ghana
Some people may be asking how much does the TIN cost?
Well, the good news is that the TIN application is free and you are not expected to pay any fee to obtain your TIN. Also, you are expected to apply for TIN all by yourself, you do not need someone to apply on your behalf.
The uniqueness of the TIN
- The TIN has eleven (11) digits
- The TIN for Individuals starts with a capital ‘P’
- The company of business TIN starts with a capital ‘C’
How to Get Tax Identification Number (TIN) in Ghana
In order to obtain your tax identification number (TIN) in Ghana, you will need to follow the laid down process by the Ghana Revenue Authority.
The Ghana Revenue Authority has an improved electronic system for obtaining a TIN number and this is FREE. The system makes it possible for you to be identified electronically anywhere around Ghana. This prevents multiple taxation levied on individuals or companies.
Some important rules to follow when filling the form include:
- Complete Form in BLOCK characters in Black or Blue ink only. Spell out all words – Do not use Abbreviations.
- All dates are formatted as dd/mm/yyyy. For example, 15/10/2019 is 15th October, 2019.
- If FIELD information is Not Applicable please enter N/A.
Steps involved in Obtaining a Tax Identification Number (TIN) in Ghana
There are three (3) ways in which you can use to apply and obtain your TIN. You can apply by visiting the GRA Office closest to you, by email or online.
How to Apply for TIN Offline
- Visit any GRA of Regional General Department (RGD) closest to you and request for a TIN Registration form.
- Fill the form correctly after carefully reading the instructions at the back at the GRA office
- Business TIN forms should be submitted to the RGD
- Taxpayer Services Unit of the office will scrutinize your filled forms and help you to complete where necessary
- You will be required to attach a valid National Identification such as Driver’s License, Voter’s ID or National ID.
- A text message will be automatically sent to you when your TIN is ready for collection.
- Remember that acquiring taxpayer identification number is absolutely free.
How to Apply for TIN via Email
- Download the TIN application on this page or form from the GRA website (www.gra.gov.gh).
- Read the Completion notes to guide you to complete the form. Complete and sign the application form.
- Scan the application form and also your National ID (Driver’s License, Voter’s ID or old National Identification Card) and send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) Registration Forms:
- Taxpayer Identification Number Registration Form – (Individual)
- Taxpayer Identification Number Registration Form -(Organisation)
How to Apply for TIN Online
In the case of online TIN application, you will need a scanned colour copy of a valid national ID (pdf, jpg, jpeg, gif). The acceptable IDs for the online registration are Voter ID, Driver License or National Identification Card.
- Go to GRA’s website – www.gra.gov.gh
- Select Online Tax Portal (DTRD) under ONLINE SERVICES or go directly to following address (https://egovonline.gegov.gov.gh/EghanaWeb/)
- (Read Guide – Online TIN Registration for details on the process)
- Start your TIN application process
- Upload a scanned colour copy of your national ID
- Submit application
- You will receive an email notification
- If you have used an NIA Card then TIN registration is automatic and you will receive an email notification within a minute or so. Driver License and Voters ID require a GRA officer to vet and approve your documentation before a TIN is issued
- After verification by TIN online desk, you will have to visit the nearest GRA DTRD office for a print out of the TIN certificate.
How Long Does it Take to Get TIN in Ghana?
The Taxpayers Identification Number (TIN) is created within 24 or 48 hours. But due to backlogs of applications, it is not uncommon for the process to prolong for about a week or 2 weeks.
Remember payment of tax is a civic duty. If you are doing business in Nigeria or intending to do business, you are expected to fulfill this necessary obligation and the first step in this is obtaining your TIN.