Ghana Passport: All You Need to Know About Ghanaian International Passport.
Ghanaian passports are passports issued exclusively by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration to Ghanaians granted citizenship in accordance with the Ghanaian nationality law. There are three types of passport booklets – regular, service and diplomatic passports. Ghanaian passport booklets are valid for travel by Ghanaians anywhere in the world, although travel to certain countries and/or for certain purposes may require a visa. More than one valid Ghanaian passport of the same type may not be held.
Types of Ghanaian Passports
- Contemporary Ghanaian passport
- Issuable to all citizens and non-citizen nationals and valid for five years from the date of issue.
- Service Ghanaian passport
- issued to officials attached to government institutions who have to travel on official business
- Diplomatic Ghanaian passport
- Issuable to Ghanaian diplomats accredited overseas and their eligible dependents.
Ghanaian Passport Format
- Paper size B7 (ISO/IEC 7810 ID-3, 88 mm × 125 mm)
- 32 pages (Ghanaian passports with more pages can be issued to frequent travelers)
Ghanaian Passport Cover
Ghanaian contemporary passport is hunter green in color, Ghanaian service passport is cadet grey in color, and Ghanaian diplomatic passport is auburn in color, with the words ‘REPUBLIC OF GHANA‘ inscribed on top of the booklet. The flag emblem of the West African subregion ECOWAS and of the African continent is prominently emblazoned in the center of the cover page, followed on the bottom by the inscription of the words PASSPORT on contemporary passports, SERVICE PASSPORT on service passports, and DIPLOMATIC PASSPORT on diplomatic passports.
Ghanaian Passport Identification Page
The following information about the owner is printed on the Ghanaian passport identification page, in both English and French:
1. Type 2. Code of Issuing State 3. Passport No. 4. Surname 5. Given name(s) 6. Nationality 7. Date of birth 8. Residence 9. Sex 10. Place of birth 11. Place of Issue 12. Date of issue 13. Date of expiry
Ghanaian Passport Photographs
The standards are:
- 2 in × 2 in (5.1 cm × 5.1 cm)
- Front view, full face, open eyes, closed mouth, and natural expression
- Full head from top of hair to shoulders
- Red background
- No shadows on face or in background
- No sunglasses; no hat
- Normal contrast and lighting
Ghanaian Passport Message
Passports of many countries contain a message, nominally from the official who is in charge of passport issuance (e.g., secretary of state, minister of foreign affairs), addressed to authorities of other countries. The message identifies the bearer as a citizen of the issuing country, requests that he or she be allowed to enter and pass through the other country, and requests further that, when necessary, he or she be given help consistent with international norms. In Ghanaian passports, the message is in English and reads:
- These are to request and require in the name of the President of the Republic of Ghana all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance and to afford him or her every assistance and protection of which he or she may stand in need.
Ghanaian Passport Fees
A Ghanaian passport applicant who applies in person pays a processing fee. The amount depends on whether the Ghanaian passport applicant is applying for a new passport or replacement passport. The current fee for a new Ghanaian passport booklet is “GH₵100.00” for express service delivery and “GH₵50.00” for regular service delivery.
To conform to the recommended standards (i.e., size, composition, layout, technology) set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), the Government of Ghana’s cabinet Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration has issued only Ghanaian e-passports as standard since March 2010, though non-passports are valid until their expiry dates or November 2015, whichever is sooner.
Under these Ghanaian passports, the three types of passports – contemporary, service, and diplomat – are color-coded. Contemporary passports appear hunter green in color, service passports appear in space cadet in color, and diplomatic passports appear auburn in color. Additionally, the Ghanaian coat of arms has been replaced by the flag emblem of the West African subregion ECOWAS and of the African continent is prominently emblazoned in the center of the cover page and the words “Republic of Ghana” are inscribed, The Government of Ghana has opted use both French and English for its Ghanaian passports.
Another change with the introduction of the Ghanaian passports is the choice of regular or expedited passport delivery service. It is expected that the new Ghanaian passports are delivered within 3 to 15 days after the application has been received, the fee for regular service delivery is “GH₵50.00”, and for express service delivery is “GH₵100.00” to have it expedited.
The Ghanaian Passport Samples